I love me a toasted sandwich for two reasons:
- I am a bread and cheese fan - together, apart, whatever, I love those guys;
- Dear Boy eats them - my fussy little thing will munch through a whole sandwich with cheese and veggies with no complaints or stalling or wandering off. Magic.
My new standard for my boy is a grated cheese and carrot combination with finely shredded baby spinach. Two veggies, one incredibly green, and I feel he's getting an okay meal. I've branched out from the standard though and love, love, love playing around with different flavour combos for myself.
My recent combinations:
- Cheese and pickles (either mustard pickles or finely sliced cornichon/gherkin)
- Cheese and sliced pear
- Cheese and leftover roast veg and pesto
- Cheese and whatever antipasto-type goodies we have in jars in the fridge
- Cheese and smashed kidney beans, avocado and salsa (I'm currently using Aldi's green salsa - yum)
- Cheese and disco munch salad (essentially a rainbow of grated veg)
I use whatever I have on hand for greasing the outside, including margarine, butter, softened coconut oil, olive oil or an oil spray. If you have a non-stick pan or sandwich maker, though, you don't really need anything. I'm a firm believer in a toasted sandwich maker (unless you're making quesadillas). Nothing beats the weird shaped and molded sandwich. We have a cheapo one, but it's been with us for a few years.
I've done a little hunting around and have found a few more meatless toasted sandwich options that I'd like to try:
Savoury (I'm counting these fruity options as savoury):
- Maple-apple and caramelised onion (via Adventures in the Kitchen)
- Cranberry, pear and brie (via Kitchen Treaty)
- Beetroot, rocket and goat's cheese (via BS in the Kitchen)
- Vegan pear, raspberry and 'bacon' (via That Was Vegan?)
- Breakfast egg, tomato and spinach
- Fig, manchego cheese and olive bread (via Tastespotting:The Blog - not sure if we can get Manchego cheese here but I'm sure something would substitute well)
- Pumpkin, apple and cheddar (via Kitchen Tested)
- Blackberry and basil (via How Sweet Eats)
- Bombay Masala with potato and chutney (via The Chef and Her Kitchen)
- and holy moley the picture of this blueberry, balsamic and baby spinach toasted sandwich makes my saliva glands go mental (via Amanda K by the Bay)