I may or may not have a thing for the audition process on talent shows - it's an easy way to hear something new and chase it down (a big plus for this New Songs project). So colour me happy when American Idol started another new season and there's guitars and a much more folksy feel drifting in. Hurrah!
And so this is the last push for 1000 songs.
961. Alex Clare - 'Too Close'.
962. Patty Griffin - 'Up To The Mountain'.
963. Gavin McGraw - 'Not Over You'.
964. Alicia Keys - 'No One'.
965. Sara Bareilles - 'Stay' - Fingers sliding on the guitar strings. Beautiful.
966. Janis Joplin - 'Try (Just a Little Bit Harder)'.
967. Sugarland - 'Stay'.
968. KT Oslin - 'Do Ya'.
969. Sublime - 'Santeria'.
970. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - 'Paris (Ooh La La)'.
971. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - 'Stars'.
972. The Fray - 'Love Don't Die'.
973. The Fray - 'Heartless'.
974. Train - 'Marry Me' -ack! So sweet. That guy's look to camera and his joker smile. Ack.
975. Train - 'When I Look to the Sky'.
976. Train (feat. Ashley Monroe) - 'Bruises' - Toe tapping along to a weird fabebook-esque reunion song. Weird, but sweet.
977. Taylor Swift - 'Begin Again'.
978. Imagine Dragons - 'Radioactive' - okay, is that Lou Diamond Phillips in the filmclip?
979. Etta James - 'I'd Rather Go Blind' - Dim the lights and watch them play off ice in your glass.
980. Amy Winehouse - 'You Know I'm No Good' - Poor Roger Moore. What did he ever do?
Oh... just for something extra because it took me a few moments to realise I know this one:
Whitney Houston - 'My Love Is Your Love'.
981. John Legend - 'Who Did That To You?' - First time I've seen him sing 'live' without sitting behind a piano.
982. John Legend - 'So High'.
983. Carrie Underwood - 'So Small'.
984. Hunter Haze - 'Wanted' - This kid is 12, right?
985. John Mayer (feat. Keith Urban) - 'Perfectly Lonely' - Oh Keith, the shoulder... you're killing me. Two beautiful guitar-pickin' men.
986. Need To Breathe - 'Washed By The Water'.
987. Reba McEntire - 'Fancy'.
988. Jesse J - 'Mamma Knows Best' - Nice.
989. Adele - 'One and Only' - Have you heard a bad Adele song? Me neither.
990. Robbie Williams and Ollie Murs - 'I Wanna Be Like You' - The Jungle Book?
991. Ollie Murs - 'Dear Darlin'.
992. Ollie Murs - 'Dance With Me Tonight' - Lovely. I want to do a little twist with my boy.
993. Aretha Franklin - 'Ain't No Way'.
994. Nina Simone - 'Ain't Got No... I've Got Life' - That voice. This song. P.S. I want her guns.
995. Nina Simone - 'Love Me Or Leave Me'.
996. Oren Lavie - 'Don't Let Your Hair Grow Too Long'. Blerg. Ruined by the sound of saliva in his mouth, taking a breath to start a new verse.
997. Oren Lavie - 'Her Morning Elegance' - Sweetness and sunshine with short, sad draws of cello.
998. Anoushka Shankar (feat. Norah Jones) - 'Traces of You'. The vocal layering here is mesmerising.
999. Tim Minchin - 'Drowned' - Love this bloke.
1000. Tim Minchin - 'Feel Like Going Home'. Unexpected but just what I wanted.
So that's 1000 songs, folks.
And this... this is just because it's a great address to a graduating class. I've heard a few. And a few awesome ones, but this is one of the best.