Wednesday, June 27, 2012

52 Poems (week 44 & 45)

So close to the end of this little project and yet I'm finding it harder and harder to gather together and read new poems. I find I'm not just searching for something new, because something new doesn't always mean something good (as I've discovered with my Something New project). I want to read good poetry or, at least, poems that make me feel something (besides boredom, that is).

Week 44

I quite liked 'Mookari' by Indigenous poet Dan Davis - chosen to represent Australia in a Commonwealth anthology (one poem per country).

I think it's going to rain today, the sun isn't so bright.
The clouds are slowing covering the blue, closing it all from sight.

He Coming Now I think I heard some thunder, smell rain in the air.
Just saw a flash of lightning , stretching out over there.

"BANG", the clap of thunder goes, it can give a little fright.
Watching this lightning can be dangerous, but oh what a sight...

'Mookari' can be heard recited here.

Week 45

It's definitely feeling wintery here, so I was searching out that feeling, that sense of chill days. This is what I found: Robert Hayden's 'Those Winter Sundays'.

Sundays too my father got up early
And put his clothes on in the blueback cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him...
Both poems are only quoted in part for copyright reasons. Search out the rest. They're out there.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...