Saturday, August 13, 2011

New songs on a Saturday morning (221-230)

As part of my ongoing effort to improve the range of my cultural consumption, I'm casting out for new things to listen to. Part one and an explanation of this musical escapade can be found here. You'll need to search for the rest yourselves.

I caught the tail end of Rage this morning, looking for something to listen to while I was folding the laundry. Instead of the usual modern blecch, they were mixing it up and I don't think there was a single song I didn't recognise or enjoy, or at least feel a little nostalgic about. INXS's 'Original Sin', The Knack's 'My Sharona', Youth Group's 'Forever Young', Bon Jovi's 'Blaze of Glory', The Boomtown Rats' 'I Don't Like Mondays' and The Easybeats' 'I'll Make You Happy'. 

I often forget about the Easybeats: Stevie Wright's screaming vocal and strange sixties dancing, Vanda and Young as musicians rather than songwriters, the matching suits, the shrieking girls, the shock of the Australian accents when the clips are introduced.



221. The Easybeats - 'Sorry'.
222. The Easybeats - 'Come and See Her'
223. The Easybeats - 'Wedding Ring'
224. Stevie Wright - 'Hard Road' - a Vanda & Young song.
225. Stevie Wright - 'Guitar Band' - Little Stevie's outfit might have been under the influence.
226. Stevie Wright - 'Black-eyed Bruiser' - another Vanda & Young creation.
227. Rose Tattoo - 'Black-eyed Bruiser' - Doesn't quite have that same...thing that Little Stevie did. Kinda like the difference between Bon Scott and Brian Johnson.
228. Meatloaf - 'Runnin' for the Red Light (I Gotta Life)' - a la Vanda & Young, with that one line that seems oh so familiar... 'gonna have a good time tonight...' but it never goes where I want it to.
229. The Rolling Stones - 'The Last Time' - How young they look. Charlie looked like a banker, even then.
230. The Rolling Stones with ACDC - 'Rock Me Baby' - I suppose if your career spans more than half a century, you're bound to play with everyone eventually.




Photo source: Easybeats

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...