Saturday, April 9, 2011

New songs on a Saturday morning (31-50)

As part of my ongoing effort to improve the range of my cultural consumption, I'm casting out for new things to listen to. Parts one and two of this music escapade can be found here and here. And part three is over here.

I've been feeling folksy this week, looking for something rawer than I normally listen to. I don't get much of this on the car radio, so it's something I have to search for.

  
31. The Waifs - 'SunDirtWater' - Adored the folksy, bluesy-ness of 'London Still', 'Bridal Train' and 'Lighthouse'. This is way more bluesy and making me pine for the summer we didn't have.
32. The Waifs - 'Fisherman's Daughter' - One of the few bands that manage to keep the Australian accent in the vocals.
33. Mumford & Sons - 'The Cave' - 'Little Lion Man' was all cranky sweetness and people kept sending me copies knowing I'd like it. 
34. Mumford & Sons - 'White Blank Page' - Awesomeness from the Bookshop Sessions.
35. Mumford & Sons - 'Winter Winds'. 


36. Wilco - 'You and I'. 
37. Billy Bragg & Wilco - 'Walt Whitman's Neice'. That Mermaid Avenue album is such a good listen.
38. Billy Bragg w. Wilco & Natalie Merchant - 'Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key'.
39. Bill Bailey & Billy Bragg - 'Unisex Chipshop'. Awful quality video but I'm a sucker for a comedy song, even more so for people who are happy to take the piss out of themselves.


40. Kate Nash & Billy Bragg - 'A New England/Foundations'. Turns out I'm also a sucker for a duet.
41. Kate Nash - 'Men's Needs'.
42. Kate Nash - 'Flourescent Adolescent'.
43. Ani Di Franco - '32 Flavours'.
44. Ani DiFranco - 'Untouchable Face'.
45. Indigo Girls - 'Closer to Fine'.
46. Indigo Girls - 'Galileo'.
47. Natalie Merchant - 'Candy Everybody Wants'.


48. Taylor Swift - 'Back to December' - I'm not a country fan and I'm not fussed on teen girls singing but I've been secretly digging on Taylor Swift. Part of it, I think, is because the first few hits of hers I heard on the radio were actually telling a story. I like that but it's not something that happens often.
49. Taylor Swift - 'Our Song'.
50. Buffy Sainte-Marie - 'Generation'.

Photo Sources: Waifs from thewaifs.com photo page; Mumford & Sons from clashmusic.com; Taylor Swift from taylorswift.com

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...